Translate

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

History of ancient India.


The next set of blogs will be commentaries on ancient India, how it differs from the society we see today and how it shaped the society we live in today.
There are many myths about India that are prevalent today. I remember when I worked as a travel guide in Baroda for Maharaja express and one of the visitors asked me how Indians could progress despite centuries of tribal warfare and disease and destitution. I wanted to say a lot of things but ended up saying too little. But no matter how much I would have said it would have been little. And I do not blame him for his ignorance; I see widespread ignorance in the Indian masses about their own nation. We know too little about our own culture and what they know is often marred with myths and/or megalomaniac chauvinism.

The need is to see India as it was and bad or good as it might have been it is the progenitor of the culture that we call our own. Challenges uniquely our own and ingenious solutions seen rarely elsewhere have characterised our existence, and existence that needs to be brought out of abysmal darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment